Friday, February 20, 2009

Takoyaki Lunch Party


"Takoyaki (literally fried or baked octopus) is a popular Japanese dumpling made of batter, diced or whole baby octopus, tempura scraps (tenkasu), pickled ginger, and green onion, topped with okonomiyaki sauce, green laver (aonori), mayonnaise, and katsuobushi (fish shavings), originating from Osaka. A takoyaki pan is typically made of cast iron with half-spherical molds. The heavy iron evenly heats the takoyaki. Commercial gas-fueled takoyaki cookers are used at Japanese festivals or by street vendors. For home use, electric versions resembling a hotplate; stovetop versions are also available." by Wikipedia

As Takoyaki is from west party of Japan, I believe western people love Takoyaki much more than eastern people. Because I met many people in New York who own a Takoyaki Pan, they are all from west! I am from east, and so my family is. When I told my girl friend that I never made Takoyaki at home, she came up with Takoyaki lunch party plan.

She brought an electric Takoyaki pan and invite one more girl from western part of Japan. This is my first time making Takoyaki at home, however I was just waching what gilrs were doing it. It was so quick! One person pours the butter and the other places the diced octopus and other ingredients, my friends' favorite ingredient boiled quail's egg as well. Then flip them one by one with sharp-pointed stick to make it round shape. The process was less than 10 minutes. Topping were special sauce for Takoyaki, mayonnaise and katusobushi. Beer was the perfect muching drink.

The fun part is not only eating but also making it! Hope I can more prticipate making part next time.

No comments: