Saturday, February 21, 2009

Stuffed Rainbow Chard Rolls


I had never seen this vegetanble, rainbow chard. When I found it in the box from Urban Organic, I was shocked... What is it? The pink stalks are beautiful, but I didn't know if it's edible.

I opened the encyclopedia to check on this vegetable. What I found was that is also known as Swiss chard which has white stalks, is related to the beet and is grown for its edible stalks and leaves. Leaves are prepared much like spinach, and stalks are prepared like celery. When tender and fresh, the raw leaves are delicious in salads. Cooked chard is good warm or cold.

This is good enough to start cooking. Leaves are much bigger than spinach, so I decided to use it substitute of cabbage of cabbage rolls. For stuffing, I used ground beef, chopped pork sausage, chopped onion and boiled brown rice. Flavored it with little bit of cumin powder. Added salt and pepper for taste.

The pretty stalks were sliced and sauteed with garlic olive oil and served with balsamic vinegar.


It was nice dinner and I liked it. Next time, I'd like to try it as a salad.

No comments: