Friday, February 13, 2009

"Beard on Bread" Project


When I started baking bread in Japan, about 9 years ago, my best friend gave me a book, Japanese edition of "Beard on Bread" by James Beard. At that time, I didn't know about James Beard. I didn't know that the book is the bible for home bakery. All I needed was step by step instructions with pictures, this book was too advanced to me. I never tried any breads from the book and forgot about it for long long time until I found it in the closet last week. Actually I was surprised that I brought it from Japan.

It was kind of exciting that I found this book. Now I know who's James Beard. I didn't know I have one of his book. I see so many interesting bread recipes in the book, I started feeling that I would like to check the original English edition. So I borrowed it from library.

I love this book! It's an original edition printed in 70s. To own one, I have options to buy paperback one(new) or hard cover one(used). After the feeling of special connection to this book, I definitely go for the hard cover.

Now I'm thinking to make all the breads from the book!
I call it "Beard on Bread" Project.

From Introduction, the part I'm very attracted.
"... I have not attempted to write a comprehensive history of bread and its religious significance, or to give a complete roundup of international baking... What I am presenting here is what I consider the besot of breads I have sampled from all over -- and I have worked out the recipes so that they can be made in the average American kitchen....."

No comments: