Sunday, February 8, 2009

Vegetable Stock Recipe


This is very my way to make vegetable stock, I've discovered it since I started cooking 3 meals a day at home. I realized that there are so much waste from vegetables such as peels of carrot, potato and celery, fresh herbs stem, onion skin, mushroom stalk, unusable tiny garlic, and so on. I thought they should make one more stop before going to a trash can. Is it too cheap? I just don't want to waste food that still eatable or flavorful.

Collecting ingredients is every day's routine. When you are working with vegetables, keep the waste on the side. I usually keep everything together in the big Ziploc bag in the freezer. Once the bag is full, it's time to make your own vegetable stock!

INGREDIENTS:

1 bag (about 11"x10" Ziploc bag) of vegetable waste, such as onions, garlic, leeks, shallots, celery, carrots, potaots, mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli stems, and so on.
4 bay leaves
8-10 whole black peppers
8-10 cups of water

METHOD:

Place all the ingredients in a large pot and bring it to boil.

Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour.

Strain the broth through a sieve.

Keep it in refrigerator, I usually finish it in a week.

No comments: