Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Pig's feet!


This beautiful dish is made by my husband. When he found fresh pig's feet at supermarket, he graved one package and asked me with his shinning eyes, "Do you know how to cook pig's feet?", I said "No". I don't have that much sophisticated meat knowledge. In fact, I never bought meat with bones before, my husband thought me how to cook soup from boned meat which is really tasty and now I do it all the time.

So, he told me how he and his family love pig's feet in Russia. His mom and grand mom make "meat in jelly" out of pig feet. You can just eat the thin sliced jelly with Russian mustard, or place the slice on the brown bread and eat. I imagined it may be something like terrine or pate. But in my mind, it is not the dish you make it at home... I couldn't say that I can make it for him. But he said that he can make it! so we bought one package of pig's feet to try.

He explained me it should be something like this cooking process. Boil pig's feet with water for hours, skim as necessary. Once bones come out easily, it's done. Salt and pepper to taste, add dill weed. Cut pig's feet in small pieces without bones. Pour all of them in the container and cool it in the fridge until it becomes firm. Shave the fat on top of it and ready to serve.

He did almost as he imagined, just we didn't have enough meat, so he added cooked potato and carrot which was very good combination and tasty.

I also love the fact pig's feet contain a lot of collagen which helps body retain moisture. I remember my mother-in-law's face. Yeah she has a beautiful skin as her age, may be this kind of natural collagen helps my skin too!

There is a Japanese soul food restaurant. Most of their menus contain pig's feet, we should go there to check out pig's feet dishes. The restaurant called Hakata Tonton.

No comments: